Armagh Street, Central City
A masterpiece of one of NZ’s most distinguished Victorian architects B.W. Mountfort, the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings (1858−1865) were the finest example of Gothic Revival architecture in NZ prior to their severe earthquake damage. They are also the only remaining purpose built provincial government buildings in the country. Sections in timber and stone were built around an internal courtyard and linked by flagstone corridors.
There are two debating chambers, one in timber and one stone; the stone chamber which remains in part, collapsed in the February earthquake was considered the finest Gothic Revival interior outside England.
A programme of careful deconstruction to secure the building along with weatherproofing and retrieval and storage of material has been undertaken.
Durham Street, Central City
Last updated: 11.05.2016