Van Asch Deaf Education Centre was opened in March 1880 and was the first fully government funded school for the deaf in the world.
For nearly 100 years van Asch promoted an oral mode of communication. In the late 1970's Signed English was introduced. In the early 1990's the first deaf bilingual programmes were established. The Centre continues to promote a philosophy that encourages both students and their families to make informed choices about communication methodology.
Truro Street, Sumner
Phone: 03 326 6009
Last updated: 15.02.2015