Queen Victoria Statue
Victoria Square, Central City
This space was once the commercial heart of Christchurch and known as Market Square. It was also a trading site for early Māori and holds a special poupou, commissioned as part of the 1990 commemorations of the signing of The Treaty of Waitangi and carved by local master carver Riki Manuel.
The Square also features a Queen Victoria statue (1903), Captain Cook statue (1932), and the Bowker Fountain (1931) - the first illuminated fountain in Australasia. The City’s oldest iron bridge is located in Victoria Square and across the bridge is the Floral Clock (1953). The stone ramp leading down to the river was once used as a watering spot for horses.
The Square is a great spot to sit, relax and watch the world go by!
Corner of Armagh and Colombo streets, Central City
Last updated: 30.04.2019