Montreal Street/Beveridge Street
Although Canterbury was to become an Anglican settlement by the activities of the Canterbury Association, Presbyterians were active early on - the first permanent European settlers in the 1840s, the Deans family, were Scottish Presbyterians and the first Presbyterian service in Canterbury was conducted in 1853.
R.W. England designed this church (1902) in the Gothic Revival style executed in brick with Oamaru stone facings. The brick construction suffered extensive damage in the earthquakes and the intent is to reclad it in a contemporary style and materials.
The Alun Wilkie designed / Higgs Construction rebuild of the church began in September 2013, seeking to combine heritage restoration (the famous flood-lit wooden pillars and ceiling) with earthquake resistant design, in a community-open, worship-eliciting space.
Bealey Avenue/Victoria Street, Central City
Last updated: 24.03.2015