Ruru Lawn Cemetery
Off Ruru Road
Linwood Cemetery which opened in 1884, was the first Christchurch cemetery located outside the town ‘on sanitary grounds’. It was at one time called Christchurch Cemetery or Sandilands Cemetery, on account of the sandy soil, very suitable for digging.
It has many large and interesting monuments, most of which are to the memory of early residents of the eastern suburbs. It has a Jewish section, including graves resited from the 19th century Jewish cemetery in Hereford Street. There are many notable people buried in the cemetery, along with a number of 'colourful' characters.
Butterfield Avenue, Linwood
Last updated: 03.08.2015