This site lies within the highly significant area of a Ngāi Tahu pā (traditional settlement) established by the Ngāi Tahu chief Tautahi in the eighteenth century. The Ōtakaro (Avon River) was an important mahinga kai or food and resource gathering area, for Ngāi Tahu, and for Tautahi’s people and their relatives visiting from Horomaka (Banks Peninsula).
This place was later a landing place on the Avon River used by the first European settlers. The Canterbury Association surveyors established a camp here in 1849, and carried out the survey of the city from the first European dwellings constructed within the four Avenues. During the 1850s, The Bricks served as Christchurch's trade entrance, and was consequently the focus of earliest European settlement.
Oxford Terrace, Central City
Last updated: 15.02.2015