From 1852−1876 New Zealand was divided into six (later to become ten) self governing provinces with a central government. Statues of three of the four Canterbury Provincial Council Superintendents, Fitzgerald, Moorhouse and Rolleston (removed for repair) are located along Rolleston Avenue.
William Sefton Moorhouse was the region’s longest serving Canterbury Provincial Superintendent, serving from 1858−62 and 1866−68. Moorhouse is known for his support for a railway tunnel between Lyttelton Port and the Canterbury Plains which went on to be completed in 1867. Renowned English sculptor G.A. Lawson produced a model for this work based on photographs.
Rolleston Avenue, Central City
Last updated: 15.02.2015